Saturday, April 07, 2007

Good times with the girls

Yesterday I had an opportunity to take my daughters to Six Flags Arlington. We had a wonderful time! With us we took Patrick (Isabella's boyfriend), John (Krystina's boyfriend) as well as Tyler and Andy (friends of both girls). I call this an opportunity because it's not too often a parent gets a chance to do something like this. We as parents are mentors, disciplinarians, and teachers, and on rare occasions dream fillers but rarely are we looked at as friends. Amusement parks are nothing new to our family; we have gone to Disneyland, Fiesta Texas, Sea World, and several others, even parks in Europe. This trip was different though, different because this time it was only me and my daughters (and a few friends). At first I thought I would have to give them their "space" since all their friends where there, so I told them to go on by themselves to ride the rides with the boys. After about an hour of wandering the park we happened to run into one another. They asked me how many rides I had gone on and when I said none, both of them decided to fix this (I like rides especially roller coasters). I spent the rest of the day with the group and had a wonderful time connecting with my kids. I thought I was going to be a detriment to their fun so I gave them the opportunity to have their freedom, I never realized fun for them was to be with me. When they get older, both of my girls are going to find themselves in a positions like this with they're own children; I pray their children make them as happy as mine make me. Many parents find themselves shunned by their children when they get to adulthood, mine (I hope) will be as much a part of my life then as they are now. They need to go off and develop a life of their own, create their own family, and be their own person; But no matter what, they will always be my daughters, and will always be welcome in my home (just as they welcomed me into their world). It was "good times" this weekend; "Good times" in the park, and "good times" with the girls. Thank god I have them.

0 Reader Comments: